Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Side Effects of Budgeting

Budgets are primarily a means to keep you living within your means. However, after living this past year on a strict budget, I'm realizing that there are some additional benefits:
The Value of Money
Both of us are now more aware of the value of a dollar. Given limited resources, we think twice before spending. Recently, I passed on a $2 board game at a thrift store because I doubted I would use it again. I don't think I ever thought twice about a $2 purchase before we had a budget. However, after discussing with friends, it seemed as though the game would get used. And lucky for me, when I returned to see if it was still available, there happened to be a 50% off sale...so I bought it for $1!
Thinking Ahead
Now that we have a concrete spending limit, we are both much more aware of future expenses. While shopping last week, She and I both realized that the holiday's are coming, and the accompanying extra expenses. As such, we've both forgone typical expenditures so that we're certain to have enough as they arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis With Someone